Jamaica PM Says Government Will Shut Down Delinquent Establishments

The Government will shut down places of amusement, as well as establishments within the entertainment sector and other industries, if a certain level of adherence to the established coronavirus (COVID-19) protocols is not maintained.

This was stated by Prime Minister, Andrew Holness, who said the Minister of Local Government and Community Development, Desmond McKenzie, continues to monitor the situation.

“So far, the report is that there is a level of compliance that is… reasonable. There is room for improvement, but not at the stage where it would trigger a shutdown. But again, I repeat, if it reaches that stage, the Government will act swiftly,” he warned.

The Prime Minister was making a statement in the House of Representatives on Tuesday (July 28). This was in relation to the new Disaster Risk Management (Enforcement Measures) Order, which has been drafted as the measures under the previous Order come to an end on July 31, 2020.

Turning to the ongoing curfew, which is slated to end on July 31, Holness noted that this will continue in place until September 30.

“The day to next day, night to early morning curfews will continue in place, starting 11:00 p.m. on the night of July 31, to 5:00 a.m. August 1, 2020, day to day until 5:00 a.m. on the morning of September 30, 2020. So, the existing curfew continues until September 30, 2020 and all of the rules relating to the curfew, including travelling times, those remain,” he informed.

In the meantime, Holness informed that the COVID-19 safety measures that are in place for the creative and entertainment sector and would have ended July 31 have been extended to September 30.

Similarly, measures for places of amusement, beaches, rivers, river rafting, restaurants and cinemas, have also been extended to September 30. The extension of measures to this period, also applies to zoos, parks, and water parks.